Not only am I a big slacker in blogging, but I have been behind in rotating all of our 72 hr bags, which I usually do faithfully every conference weekend. I read something awhile back about how every conference this family sets up their tent in the living room and faces the door towards the tv so they can 'camp out' and watch conference ( you know, kind of the King Benjamin theory) anyway, they live that weekend off of their 72 hours kits so they can rotate food/water and clothing. I decided that this was a great challenge for our family to see if we were really or somewhat close to being prepared for an actual emergency. Since weekends are few that we are all home together and not working, I decided to do this last week for FHE. I had mentioned doing this to Braxton awhile ago and how this family set up their tent, so he has begged and asked non-stop when we were going to set up our tent, but I decided much to his dismay that this time around the tent would have to be a no-go.
We started FHE with a fire drill which we haven't done for awhile, and we all made it to the designated spot. We are getting better at this and actually grabbing things that are needed. One time Braxton ran out with the TV remote - I guess that was important to him at the moment! This time he actually grabbed his 72 hr backpack! Although we never really defined what the emergency was, thus began our experiment... from then on until Thursday night, we had no power. We ate our designated meals for each day, using the burner on our BBQ to cook/heat water. This was a big step for me as I hate propane, I singed the hair off my arms once using the oven in my parents trailer and I've been scared of it since. We learned a lot of things such as we didn't have any small pans in our packs to cook with so I bought a small mess kit which worked out well. We used and refilled our 55 gallon water barrel, but didn't have the wrench needed for the cap. I also wonder if before drinking the stored water, next time, we ought to roll the barrel around to mix up the bleach a bit more, it was drinkable but a bit more 'tasty' than I would like. I also need to write cooking instructions on individual packages if they are out of the original box or container - good thing I happened to have an unopened box of Lipton chkn noodle soup in the cupboard so I knew how much water to add. I got good feedback on what food items not to buy and what we will eat more of. Tanner will starve, and the rest of us will be fine b/c he eats like a bird (although his thighs and 'kankles' say otherwise) and we will divy up what he doesn't eat!! Troy was pretty sure the 1st night we were going to starve with our little cans of speghettios, fruit cups, & cereal bars, but was pleasantly surprised at how full he was. I had just happened to bake bread that day so we ate some of that too. The first night we got everything out and rotated out the winter clothes, batteries in flashlights, diaper sizes, baby items, and the medication kit. I realized that we need to update our will's and advanced directives to add Camrie, we don't want her to be an orphan child if something happens to me and Troy. It was good to do all this together so that everyone knew what was in their own bag. The kids had fun cranking up the radios and flashlights and using a lantern in the hall as a nightlight until they went to sleep. They like to listen to their primary cd's, so I said for the next 3 night they would just have to sing each other to sleep. Braxton laughed at me, and when I passed by their room a few minutes later, Tanner was singing the ABC's over and over!!
We had lots of fun playing games and reading by the lantern. When Troy can't sleep he goes downstairs on the couch to read, usually falling asleep with the light on, and had done this on of the nights. I figured he'd cheat and turn the light on, but when I went downstairs I found his book & a flashlight on the floor instead! He even listened to the Jazz game in the dark on the crank radio, now that's a dedicated fan and also the kind of guy he is to support my crazy hair-brain ideas!!
I will also need more hairspray!! 72 hour hair without a curling iron is not pretty, but hairspray can make even the worst look presentable!
The most interesting thing I learned was how much of a distraction that dang T.V really is!! I was a bit nervous about how the kids would do and the 72 hrs of whinning I'd have to listen to. Surprisingly, not once did either of them ask to turn on the TV. It was amazing how peaceful it was. Everyone got along, Troy and I played games and had great talks after the kids went to bed. I could've laid on the couch all night embracing the spirit that I felt as we read scriptures with them by flashlight. Usually, after the kids get in bed, it seems like it takes Tanner an hour to get to sleep, he learned well from Braxton all the excuses to get out of bed, and Braxton is up a few times to turn the cd player back on. I think they both were asleep each night in about 20 min.
Thursday night Braxton said, "hey mom, we survived!! but can I still use the lantern instead of turning the hall light on when we go to bed? and maybe I don't really need my songs on at night." WHAT??? did my 6 year old really say that?? We actually didn't even turn the TV back on until Friday night, and I whined about doing that! It seemed like we were back to our old routine in a hurry.
This was a great challenge for our family and everyone had a good time. So we may not be completely ready in the event of an emergency, but at least we have a pretty good start. In addition to our food storage, we just bought a 3 years supply of the freeze-dried food storage that has some pretty tasty menu items!! that fits nicely under our extra bed. If anyone is interested in that I can hook you up. I wish I'd have taken some pictures, I thought about it but never did it. Maybe next time!!



No comments:
Post a Comment