Thursday, March 18, 2010

HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY!

St. Patrick's day has been long awaited at our house for about the last 11 months! Seriously.  Since I had Tuesday off, and worked Wednedsay we had our St. Patrick's day breakfast on Tuesday...We had green shamrock pancakes and green milk. Braxton and Tanner each found a 'pot of gold' next to their plate and Troy made us some sweet shamrock placemats.  The boys were so excited when they got up and came down to eat and saw the table &  pancakes, & even more excited that mom let them have a few pieces of candy from their pots of gold for breakfast!! I wasn't sure Tanner would go for the green milk but he loved it.  Camrie even had a paper shamrock on her bottle which was half eaten before I realized it!!


Notice the rollos eaten & an untouched green pancake!

Last year's trap....

Candy left  by Leprachaun last year.

 Last year Paige helped Braxton construct a Leprachaun trap, & when the Leprachaun escaped and left shiny candy, the plans quickly began for this years trap. Now I had never heard of this before last year, so of course this very uncreative mom turned to the internet to find some ideas for Leprachaun traps.  We found what we thought would be fool proof design and Braxton began conjuring up ideas as to what he would do with a Leprachaun after he caught it.  He wasn't quite sure what to feed it or how to keep it contained since they are magic.  I also wanted to make a Moon Box which is decorated all shiny & placed in the window seal the night before. The moonlight shines on the box, which attracts the little green fella and hopefully if he likes what he see's he may leave a treat.  Braxton wasn't to keen on the moon box idea so we stuck with the original plan. 
This year's trap.

Our trap this year,  was a Leprachaun hat with a ladder leading up to a shiny gold coin and candy placed on top of a trap door enabling us to capture the fallen Leprachaun. We left it outside with the porch light on and hoped to find him in the morning.  Braxton & Tanner woke up to find a huge mess in their room (books, diapers, toys, etc all over the floor) and noticed the living room was 'trashed' as Braxton will tell you.  He went out to check the trap & found a note from the Leprachaun saying that although we had made a clever trap,  his foot got caught on the top rung of the ladder as he fell in &  pulled the ladder down into the trap.  After picking up the coin that was ontop of the trap door, he just climbed right back out & away he went.  He did notice the boy's shiny pots of gold candy through the window and magically got in our house making  a huge mess trying to find more. (they are very mischieveious you know!) He did leave a few little green treats and each a little green race car in the trap which made up for escaping in Braxton's mind.
I didn't get pictures of the fine mess that little green devil made, because Troy & I had been up all night with a very unhappy Camrie & I hadn't been to sleep at all in the last 24 hours, so as soon as Troy took the kids to school and daycare, I said goodnight to the mess in the boy's room and went to bed until noonish hoping a little fairy would come and clean it all up.   I was suppose to work a 12 hr shift, but luckily was an extra person in Perinatology to learn their machine that day, so I just went in 5-9 to finish my shift.  And as for the mess, it just got cleaned up tonight....mostly by me! Hopefully next year that Leprachaun won't be so messy or at least leave a number for a good maid!  Hope you all had a fun day!

5 comments:

Chelsea Johnson said...

I have never heard of such cute and clever ideas as these. So cute! What a great mommy to make such wonderful memories for your kids.

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of it either. fun your kids!

Stevenson Stories said...

You are such a cute mom! What a great idea. I hope to be like that someday.. as of now I am not anywhere close! Your kids are darling!

Unknown said...

How cute is that. We never did anything like that as kids so it's great to see other ideas of celebrating the green day!

Derek and Lisa Larson said...

What a fun Mom! I totally want to steal the idea when Lydia gets older :)