Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sawdust, Tarts, & Shakespeare

Troy & I spent Friday in Cedar in his dad's woodshop to work on our kitchen cabinets that have been a work in progress for the past 1.3 years. Yes friends, you heard right 1.3 years (can't tell I'm keeping track or anything!) , this project was the catalyst for all the other projects we've done in the past year i.e. new tile, carpet, granite countertops, new kitchen appliances. We bought a new side by side fridge in May of 2007 and after Troy's careful measurements making sure it was the right size, it ended up being too wide. So instead of returning it Troy decided to rip out the cabinets around the fridge and build new ones to fit above and to the side of it. Troy finished those and 3 others that fit around our microwave and that's where the fun ended much to my dismay. I've tried to be patient and not drop too many hints how for mother's day, my birthday, and now I'm shooting for Christmas what a great present it would be to have all the cabinets finished. But we all know how busy Troy is and all the right equipment for the job is in Cedar so Troy's gone to Cedar when he could get some time away from work, and has been up almost every night this week to really get them going again.
We left kids behind today and it was fun to actually help instead of keeping kids busy and entertained while Troy does all the work. My job was to sand the door panels,and we ended up running them through a big sanding machine at a local cabinet shop. At least 4 hrs. of sanding done in about 15 min. - now do I know how to work or what?? We love working together no matter what the project is, and Troy is always willing to try anything new. It's been fun to see what all goes into putting cabinets together.
After we'd inhaled enough sawdust and had quick showers, we took advantage of our time w/o kids and ran up to Rusty's for dinner. Who would you guess was sitting across the isle from us but Elder Dallin H. Oaks and his wife. I felt privledged that he smiled and said a quiet hello as he passed our table on their way out, only I'm sure because I was staring with googley eyes the whole time they were there. How awesome it is to be in the presence of an Apostle even if it is from across the isle. After dinner we ran down the canyon to SUU to join Troy's co-workers from
Southern Utah HomeCare and Hospice (Troy's 2nd job) at their summer party at the Utah Shakespearean Festival. We all met at the Greenshow to get our tickets and have a private little welcome from Fred Adams (we were so sorry that we arrived at the end of that part!:) but guess who was sitting with the group...Dallin H. Oaks..... But they quickly got up and left after Fred finished and they began handing out tickets realizing it was a group affair, they must've thought Freddie A. was giving some kind of intro to the play.
We saw Taming of the Shrew, which was really good. The best part was the LEMON TARTS!!! I LOVE THEM!!! Troy talked me into trying one about a month ago when we took the kids to see the Greenshow and I've been outta control over them ever since. I even made my own & they looked and tasted pretty dang close to the ones we had there.
So at intermission we set out for tarts and they were out. How can you possibly run out of tarts (all flavors might I add) only 3 minutes in to intermission?? So by this time Troy was pretty sure I was going to have a serious melt down right there in line. So Troy bought the last tart, which was bosenberry, and I settled for a choc. chip cookie. I will admit that I pouted for just a second and then ran upstairs to the other refreshment line just in case, and there they were...lemon tarts...I could've bought the hole basket but settled for 1 (but guess what i'm making during my 5 days off!!) Troy breathed a little easier, I had my tart and life was good.
I want to say thanks babe for a great day and date I love ya. Also thanks Nick and Paige for watching Tanner, (Braxton is with his dad) again, just add it to our tab of all the things we owe you!!! sorry all for the length... I don't know how to condense my stories!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like you are a tart Tart. (PC for the alternative- haha) Glad that everything can be solved with a bit of lemon pudding and GA. :)

Glad you had fun!

Nick Paige Josh & Lexy said...

Andrea - I'm shocked that you were upset about lemon tarts- - you throw a fit when you don't get your way? you must have learned that from nick! :) ha ha! And by the way - we LOVE watching tanner! :) (and B too!!)

Carol and Bruce said...

Great story and I want to know where to get my hands on a lemon tart, they sound delicious. Glad you were able to have a fun night out with your hubby. I would have gone crazy over seeing Elder Oaks!

It looks like we are going to be big time rivals this week end? GO DUCKS!!

Carol and Bruce said...

Oops! I see it is Utah State, well GO DUCKS!! for sure.

Kristen said...

email me so i can send you the recipe... I don't have your email
kristenk@infowest.com