I suppose 2 weeks late is better than 2 months right? Kason joined our family in a hurry Sunday January 30, 2011, a month early at 36 weeks just like my older 3 kids. About 11:00 am, my back started to ache more than it had the past few weeks and a bit lower (that is my labor clue!) I passed it off as nothing and played some games with the kids hoping to distract me and that the ache would go away, figuring if it hadn't subsided by the time Nick and Paige got home from church at 2 (we were slackers that day!) that I'd go in and be checked. Paige just happened to call ( it's that inspiration that comes with being the RS President I guess) and check on us. She said she was on her way home to stay with our kids while we went in. I called Labor & Delivery and let them know my story and that I was dilated to a 5 a few days before and was it worth it to come in? Troy and I got there about 1:30, and I was a 6+. I was feeling a little guilty for even being there since I wasn't having contractions nor had my water broke, and was trying to talk myself into going home, sleeping in my own bed, and coming back the in the morning. Troy kept telling me to call my parents, saying this baby was going to come faster than I thought, but I still didn't think there was a big rush for them to head down. Dr. Lunt admitted me and I was moved to a delivery room, and showed up about 30 minutes later to break my water (ok so now I'm thinking Troy was right!) It was then and quickly there after I can say I FELT A CONTRACTION!!! I asked if I had just had one and my nurse said yes. I told her that I didn't really think I liked it very much, and that I'm sure they can get pretty nasty. I got my epidural just about10 mins later and felt another contraction just as Dr. Miner gave me the Lido shot and I'm pretty sure that I would take the "bee sting" of the shot instead! They got me all situated and comfy and was planning on just relaxing for a few minutes before I got a catheter and checked again. Well, Dr. Lunt came back in and checked me and asked if i wanted to push. I looked at him, with the 'deer in the headlights' look, and said "NO!" and I got the same look in return from him! I hadn't even had my epidural for maybe 15 minutes and was just begining to have tingly feet! You know how they start bringing in the all the sterile supplies, they get you ready and in the stirrups, and you have a few minutes for some mental preparation time that this is really going to happen? I was thinking you can't be serious that we are really doing this NOW? I'm not numb nor even in the stirrups, he is really is just going to catch him!! My nurse was even way surprised and totally taken out of her routine. So I pushed 2x's and was complete. THEN everyone shows up with sterile green drapes and everything comes out of the closets and we are ready to have a baby! About 5 vein popping pushes later (i've never had to really push before!!) Kason was born at 4:22 pm, tipping the scales at 6 lbs 7 oz and 18 inches long. My immediate thought when they first laid him on me and I got a look at him was "Hello, Tanner!" they are brothers for sure! Since a sacral dimple was found on Camrie after she was born, we both were a little nervous about some surprise issue being found with Kason, but we were happy to know he checked out just fine! We had a great experience with Labor and Delivery, and all 3 of us were totally spoiled by them. I suppose it helps to have some good connections with them too! We texted my good friend Julie who is a tech on L & D to let her know that Kason was on his way and for her to hurry up and get there, but her phone had taken a recent dive into a glass of Limeade and so she missed our text. She did work that night so she came running into our room with hugs and apologies that she had missed Kason's entrance and that she didn't get to take care of him like she had done with Braxton, Tanner and Camrie. She was great to help us get all settled up on Mom and Baby and stayed to visit awhile. We were starving so we took advantage of the great room service, however, if you ever order room service and want a steak, make sure to have them leave off the cute little sprigg of Pine! Troy's steak came with this pine branch that looked like they had cute it off a tree in the back parkinglot which made his steak taste like a pine cone!
Grandma and Grandpa Smith made it down in record time, and Aunt Caroline and Uncle Brent also came to meet Kason, and bring me the best tasting, long over-due Diet Coke ever! Nick and Paige also brought the kids in to meet Kason through the nursery window since it is RSV season. They all were so excited to see him, Camrie kept saying "look it's baby Kason!" when he would cry she would say "baby Kason...grumpy!". Thanks N & P for bringing them in and staying with them until my mom got there, and taking care of their melt-downs because they missed their mom laying down with them at night.
We stayed in the hospital until Tuesday, and had great visits with both Dr. Lunt and Dr. Nygaard. Kason passed all his tests with flying colors. Because he was a preemie, he had to have his sugar checked every 6 hours (his poor little heels looked like pin cushions), and also got to hang out for 90 minuets in the nursery in his car seat to make sure his O2 level didn't drop. They said he was very good and slept the whole time, at least we know he can tolerate his car seat for a trip to Beaver which is 90 mins! Camrie hated it! We are very thankful for all our wonderful nurses and CNA's who took such great care of us and Kason. It was a nasty, cold, and windy day when we came home.
Grandma Smith stayed for a week, and as always, was a huge help! She helped Braxton with his homework, mopped floors, did an obscene amount of laundry (really how can a baby add that much more?), I'm pretty sure she thought it would never end! She gives her new grandbabies the best night-time rub downs and gets them in their jammies, She also had fun tea-parties with Tanner and Camrie (Tanner let Braxton know that he was too big for tea parties and couldn't come to their party!). She also met up with one of her cousins she hadn't seen in many years who just happens to live in Caroline's ward and had a fun afternoon visiting and going out for lunch. We were very sad to see her go and can't wait until she can come back again and stay for a few days. Camrie has pointed to the extra bed in her room several times and said, "where g.ma go?".
We also had Aunt Valerie, Uncle Mark, and their girls come down for a visit.
Life with Kason has been so much fun so far, he does have his days and nights a bit mixed up, but is getting better about waking up more during the day. The kids love to come home and see him and are all great helpers with him. It took Tanner and Camrie a day or too after we brought him home to want to give him loves, they were content to just look at him and be excited. Kason has a scream and squeal that reminds us of a peacock, or as the window screen delivery man from Jones Paint & Glass put it, "he would make a great coyote call." Hopefully we aren't keeping the neighbors up all night! We did the cute little pictures in the hospital, but for some reason, our account has a security lock on it, and we can't look at them on the web nursery, and after many phone calls, and them promising to call us back when the security thing is off, we are not impressed and have given up!
 |
| Kason's Stats |
 |
| 30 mins old |
 |
| Dr. Lunt, Kason, Mom |
 |
| Kason meeting Gma Smith |
 |
| Kason meeting Gpa Smith |
 |
| Uncle Brent and Kason |
 |
| Kason and Aunt Caroline |
 |
| Changing time! |
 |
| One eye open! |
 |
| Mom and Kason |
 |
| All snuggled up and ready to go home |
 |
| We love you Kason! |
 |
| Welcome home on a windy, cold day |
 |
| Proud big brother Braxton |
6 comments:
Wow CONGRATS on your beautiful baby boy!! He has a darling name, except you spelled it wrong you better check on that :)
HA HA Amanda!! Yes, you can see, I won the spelling war!!
This is so funny, I meant to text you yesterday to bug you about pictures, and here they are!
HE IS SO CUTE!!! I love his perfect little head. Your deliveries just kill me...no contractions and 4 pushes AND 4 weeks early! Do you know how lucky you are?!
He is perfect, congratulations! So glad your mom came to take care of you and I hope you're getting some rest!
Congratulations! He's darling! I'm sad I wasn't working on postpartum the days you were there. Hope all is going great at home!
He is so cute! Congrats!!!
Congrats! He is a handsome little addition to your cute family! Hope you all are doing well!
Post a Comment