The Relay for Life has become an event I look forward to each year. About 7 years ago, me, my mom, and sisters had a team at the St. George relay where my mom participated as a cancer survivor from lung cancer. We had so much fun we did it the next year and included our husbands, that was my 1st year as a cancer survivor myself. I try to do the survivor lap each year even if I'm not part of a team. This year Troy & I walked at the St. George relay in April, and then I went to Beaver June 26th and walked in the survivor lap with my 3 kids, & my mom, who was also part of the committee (you did a great job mom!)Braxton loved letting his balloon go at the end of the survivor lap & going back for breakfast in the morning. This is the first time Braxton has walked with me, & I feel it is only appropriate that he does since I was 20 wks pregnant with him when I found out about my cancer and had my thyroid removed, I feel he 'survived' with me! I can't believe it's been 6 years already time does fly. My mom & I talk a lot about how it doesn't matter what kind of cancer,the amount, or lack of treatment one goes through (mom didn't have any, I had one) the word 'cancer' means the same to all of us. We both feel guilty at times b/c there are those who endure such sicknes, and pain, and neither one of us had to go through that, yet it's still the same. The relay usually goes for 24 hours and a person from each team has to be on the track at all times, even in the rain! There is entertainment & fun through out the night & of course tons of food! If you have never participated in a relay it really is a blast!
Some Star Wars characters were also there to help fight cancer

Mom giving a little talk at the survivor reception

Mom & my boys
No comments:
Post a Comment